The publications on this webpage are directly sponsored by David Rubel Associates. For each publication, information came to attention of the author while working on client directed endeavors. The information was then developed as a public policy publication independent of any client sponsor. These publications are devoted to identifying systemic problems in state and city government and offering practical solutions. Prior to becoming a publication, all projects must first meet three criteria:
1) no one else is addressing the issue
2) the goal of the research is significant and demonstrable improvements in the lives of people
3) the recommendations are practical and can be implemented now.
Almost all of the publications below focus on the NYC and NYS public school system. I am a grateful for the excellent education my two children received attending NYC-DOE public schools. I continue to believe in the great importance of our public school system for a healthy democracy. I hope my efforts will be impactful.
- Over a four year period, top ranked NYC-DOE screened high schools doubled the number of students with an IEP- 2021 Update download pdf
- NYC Policy Alert: the 2021 Free Summer Meals Challenge download pdf
- Three April E-mail Alerts: Citywide advocacy effort to publicize how recent changes to the NYC-DOE School Meals program offer struggling New Yorkers plentiful and tasty prepared food. download pdf
- Practical Strategies for Helping Hungry New Yorkers Without any Additional Costs to New York City. February 2021 Update. download pdf
- Practical Strategies for Helping Hungry New Yorkers Without any Additional Costs to New York City. September 2020. download pdf
- COVID-19 Policy Alert: Two Weeks Left to Go, What’s at Stake for NYC Families for the Summer of 2020 download pdf
- 2017-18 NYS and NYC Regents Exams Policy Alert. January 2019 Download PDF
- New York State Common Core Algebra 1 and ELA Regents Exams Policy Alert. April 2018. Download PDF
- Discussion Paper: How less than 1% of the NYC-DOE Renewal Schools Program Budget Could Transform the Lives of Thousands of Students. February 2018. Download PDF
- Warning: NYS graduation rate may start dropping for the class of 2018 and future years. Download PDF.
- NYC-DOE Screened High Schools Equity and Diversity Discussion Paper 2017. Download PDF
- Discussion Paper: Algebra 1 Common Core Regents Exam Transition Update December 2016 Update. Download PDF.
- Discussion Paper: Bracing for the Storm New York’s Transition to the Common Core Regents Exam. June 2016 Update. Download PDF
- Discussion Paper: Can we hope to see the next Richard Branson, David Boies, Whoopi Goldberg, Charles Schwab, Steven Spielberg, and Wendy Wasserstein in New York City’s Top Public High Schools? April 2016 Update. Download PDF
- Should the New York State Education Department (NYSED) do more to help students, especially English language learners and students with disabilities, succeed with the transition to the Common Core Regents Exams? The good news is that useful and easy to implement recommendations are readily available. November 2015. Download PDF
- Equity Discussion Paper: Should the New York City Department of Education Increase the Number of Screened High Schools for Outer-Borough Academically Strong Students. September 2015. Download PDF.
- Discussion Paper: First Year Results (2013-2014) from the New Common Core Algebra and ELA Regents Exams Warrant a Public Response from the New York State Education Department. Download PDF
- A Question for Discussion- Can we hope to see the next Richard Branson, David Boies, Whoopi Goldberg, Charles Schwab, Steven Spielberg, and Wendy Wasserstein in New York City’s Top Public High Schools? 2014. Download PDF
- From Expletives to Accolades: A Proposal for the Re-Structuring of New York City Housing Court. 1997. Download PDF
- Stem the Tide: A New Certification Program for Government Benefit Advocates as a Response to the Growing Crisis in Poor Communities. 1997. Download PDF